Elizabeth Adeney: Really? Come on.

It’s not even necessary to go into a lot of details about this breaking news story. Elizabeth Adeney is pregnant at 66-years-old. She now wears the crown for being the oldest pregnant woman in England’s history. Yeah, that’s a long time folks. Confused by all the buzz about her situation, Adeney replies, “I’m just a pregnant lady.” Really? Hmmm, let’s think about that.

I, MommyQ, am in my mid-30s with two small children under the age of five. After a day with my spirited, funny, active, goofy, demanding, jumping, leaping, walking, running, throwing, tossing, eating, napping, griping, giggling, smiling, frowning kiddos, I’m exhausted – both physically and emotionally. Again, I’m in my mid-30s. Based on nothing personal about the woman – just math – I think this is a sadly selfish, unethical situation.

When her child is an active toddler, she will be approaching 70-years-old. When her child is ten-years-old, she will be getting close to 80-years-old. It’s simple mathematics. Just because one can do something, doesn’t mean one should. In my silly little opinion, this is completely unfair to the child. I cannot imagine being 30 years older than I am and attempting to raise a newborn. It’s too absurd to even consider.

Adeney might be the best, most loving parent in the world, but the odds are not in her favor to be around for her child’s life. Not to mention, the ew factor is pretty high too. (Having a baby at 66? Ew.)

What do you think MommyQ readers? Is she just another pregnant lady?

11 thoughts on “Elizabeth Adeney: Really? Come on.

1. deedee says:

I had my first at 25, my last at 39. It was MUCH harder at 39. Now at 45 I am exhausted at the end of the day after running around after a 6 year old. I can understand the deep desire to have a child, but really there needs to be a limit. This is so unfair to the child.

2. Dina Smith says:

I am an extremely fit, active, healthy, childless 51 year old that would never consider such a thing. Holy smokes! What’s she thinking? Your description alone of the fatigue and emotional tax that raising a child takes, makes one shudder. Truly, this is unnatural. Why a doctor would take on a patient at this age, seems unconscionable to me. Can anyone be that desperate to have a baby? That seems pretty selfish in itself, when many kids need good foster homes. This just doesn’t make any sense.

3. Christine Carty says:

I had my son at 42…. I thought I was a bit too old then, but remained healthy and active….I am constantly been told that I look about 10 years younger than my real age of 63.

He will be 21 years in a matter of weeks. The lady may well live to be 100. Her child will be 34 years then.
    She is very brave and obviously thinks positive. I wish her all the very best, although not every 65 years old should attempt this!
    I hope she remains healthy and live to see her child grow up by the grace of God.
    Give her a break!

4. nazgul21 says:

Thank you for saying so succinctly what I have been saying for years: it is extremely selfish to have children at ages where there is no guarantee that one will be ambulatory to raise said children. Now, I am a man and do not know what it is to have the feeling of carrying a child and going through childbirth. But I do know at 38 my window is almost closed to have another child (I have an 11 year old). I wouldn’t want anyone asking my child “Is that your grandfather?” Although your opinion may not be popular, keep sharing it. There are others out there who think just like you.

5. This doesn’t quite rank up there with having eight children at once, but doesn’t it make you think a little about if things were really supposed to happen, they would?

Sometimes people need to think a little less about what they want, and really think about what things are like in the real world, not in their dream world!

6. Mary Ann Wing says:

I am the mother of 5 naturally born children, all of whom were born before I reached my 27th birthday – I do agree that even though this woman sincerely probably wants the baby for some of the right reasons, there are many considerations regarding the child that have not been well thought out. My biggest concern would be knowing that the child will probably miss out on things a young mother can give – like planning a wedding, family support for the child when they are a young adult, etc. However – this is where a have a problem in others’ comments – Do understand that age is a very subjective thing – I’ve seen some very young people who I would assume were much older in their physical prowess or their attitudes – age is a very relative condition! It seems to me that society thinks nothing of grandparents who often raise their grandchildren very successfully – I am 62 yrs old and give my grandchildren some of the times of their lives, and yes it includes a variety of “young” activities like slumber parties for the 6 of them, riding go carts, amusement rides, keeping at a moment’s notice and running circles around their parents when it comes to cleaning house, working full time, being organized and having lots of time to spend with the grandkids – I have taken care of them in multiples for periods of time, I have fed them, bathed them, nursed them when they are ill and carried them because “they didn’t want down – I have been doing this for 15 years now and plan on continuing being an active part of their lives. So be careful how you sell short “all people over 60” – they are no more each the same than the 30 somethings.

7. cindy says:

Why didnt she just adopt an older child?????
    It was not her egg anyhow so I dont understand why she
    must “birth” the child.

8. denvermom says:

I personally know women who are more fit and active in their 50’s and 60’s then some of the twenty-somethings. It’s great to be an older mother. I spent my twenties having fun – now in my mid-40’s with an 8 year old, I’m less selfish with my time and have a great relationship with my child (as do my friends who are also “older”). Great for her! I’d like the name of her doctor.

9. Lisa Petersen says:

None of us are guaranteed any particular length of time when it comes to life. Children die, too. The odds are probably in favor of me living 30 more years (I am 45 with 3 under the age of 11 and there is no way I’d have another!) than this mother, but who really knows?

10. shannon pendleton says:

I will never visit your website again. Had you debated this like an adult, perhaps I would have. You say that you are tired after a day with your kids and you are in your mid thirties? You must be in bad shape and most likely fat.